For the ‘Showcasing Cruising’ module, but also relevant for anyone designing a blog and /or website.
Photos courtesy of Sid White. Thanks Sid!
You are to design a website that will be effective in show-casing the following:
A case study of students or graduates in employment with a cruise company
A review of a cruise field trip
The BSc (Hons) Cruise Management
A review of a relevant and recent cruise research paper
Look at existing Cruise sites for inspiration. Here’s some current examples…
- Viking Ocean Cruises
- P&O Cruises
- Royal Caribbean Cruises
- Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines
- P&O Blog
- See what last year’s students did!
- Who is your audience?
- What content are you going to include?
- How are you going to arrange your content?
- What pictures are you going to use? Use Creative Commons (CC) Search to find images on the web that you can use without infringing copyright.
- Do you want others to be able to comment on your work?
- Link to other content – social media/ newsfeed?
- What is an appropriate WordPress Theme?
The picture above was found using Creative Commons (CC) Search on Flickr. Materials that are licensed under Creative Commons can be used as long as you follow the licensing conditions, all of which include attribution.
To attribute correctly include:
- the title of the image/ resource
- the source – link to the original
- the author – link to their profile page
- the license – link to the license deed
This is the ideal method to attribute an image that has not been modified by you. For more information see ‘Best practices for attribution‘ by wiki.creativecommons.org
- keep the look clean and uncluttered
- be consistent particularly with navigation buttons
- easy-to-use navigation
- use ‘Heading’ sizes for subtitles
- write in short paragraphs – bullet points can be useful
- avoid ‘blinking’ content
- use pictures
- choose your colour theme carefully
- ensure text can be read easily
- check for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
See ‘General Principles of Visual Design‘ for more suggestions
See below for advice regarding the psychology of colour and suggestions for good combinations:
- Learn WordPress.com: Master the Basics and Beyond
- 40 brilliant WordPress tutorials for designers (for more advanced features)
- Connecting to Eduroam Wireless Network (UoP login required)
5. Add content…
- 10 Writing for the Web Tips
- 10 Tips for Good Web Writing – Jennifer Kyrnin, About.com
- How to write an effective ‘About Me’ page – Kayla Knight, onextrapixel.com
- 9 Simple Tips for Blog Posts that Grab the Attention – Daniel Sharkov